Thursday, January 29, 2015

Stanford CyberKnife Launch

I haven't yet decided if I will go through radiotherapy when I am done with surgery and my recovery. There is some new research that shows that for my kind of tumor there "may" be longer survival rates if radiation is done right after surgery. If my tumor grade has gone up, then it will be likely I do radiotherapy.
CyberKnife M6 Series

Though the name, CyberKnife suggests surgery
it is the latest technology in radiotherapy treatment. This isn't your normal whole brain radiation of years ago. CyberKnife was invented at Stanford more than 20 years ago. The patient lays flat on a table and a robot rotates around and provides a focused radiation to the tumor site from multiple directions.

I was lucky enough to be at the launch celebration for the latest CyberKnife equipment manufactured by Accuray tonight. See if you can spot the under-dressed person in the room.... I do have a scar on my head, so they let me in.

Dr. Chang is on the left and Calvin Maurer - VP Accuray on the right
The celebration was led by Dr. Chang, who in just four days, will also be performing my brain surgery and will lead the effort again on February 9th.

I also met a nurse who will be assisting with both surgeries.

The round puzzle pieces (technical term) in the picture below, are placed in the device that focus the radiation at different sizes from 5mm up to 60mm. It's reassuring to know that these cutting edge options are available should I need them.

My Nurse
Different sizes of radiation



No comments:

Post a Comment