Friday, April 10, 2015

The countdown continues...


I've thrown in the towel and just decided to shave my head. I'm bald, but I look a lot less freaky. I WON'T wear a hat so this is my solution to patchy bald spots.  I'm still losing my hair but now I don't notice it as much.

I'm shocked at how much the fatigue has set in. I'm sleeping about 12 hours a day. About 8-10 through the night and the rest throughout the day. I still have energy at times so I'm still walking and even getting in some work-outs. It's a different kind of tired than just being tired and no amount of sleep will relieve it. Sometimes I have energy and other times it is too much for me to walk to the kitchen. Maybe best described by a light switch - sometimes it's on and other times it off.
Radiation doing it's job

I'm looking forward to the end of radiation. Only 11 more treatments to go.  I've seen other patients ringing a bell at the hospital.  All I want to do is drink two beers, smash my mask (yes you do get to take it home) and get on with my life. The radiation effects are expected to have a cumulative effect that can last at least a month. So, I expect I will be low on energy. I start chemo one month post radiation.

I haven't experienced any headaches which are a common side effect of radiation for a brain tumor. Seizures are another side effect of radiation and I've had none. I've been seizure free now for more than two months! It's awesome.

Thankfully the only effects that I have (besides fatigue) is hair loss and scalp irritation/pain /sensitivity. Though, this has subsided since my hair fell out.

I'm sure there are worse commutes. The 22 miles to and from Stanford has been a "mostly" smooth ride. Though, it's not for the best reason I can imagine. Still, the daily ride could be much worse - So I'll take it.

Thank you to Julie and family for the sushi dinner this week. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment