Friday, April 3, 2015

Checking Back In...by Fay

Today I got a call while I was picking up Dylan from school.  It was Josh - telling me that his hair is falling out. We were told that it would happen, but it is still startling to see it happening.

What I'm about to say is negative. I know it. And, after I say it, I also know that we are fortunate. Things could be worse. People are worse off than us. I shouldn't complain. But, knowing all that, still doesn't make things any easier.

Things haven't been great. We are both on edge and snapping at each other. The drive to and from Radiation each day isn't pleasant. We hardly talk. Though we do laugh about the fact that not a drive has gone by that we haven't heard Taylor Swift's, "Blank Space" at least once and Maroon 5's "Sugar". It's OK for me but I think Josh might go crazy. 
The whole experience is really wearing me down. I can't imagine how it must be for Josh. You can't really imagine how much of a time sink it is. And, the emotional toll it is taking. Today was treatment #14 out of 30.
In an attempt to have something to look forward to, we plan one day a week that we get to buy lunch on the way back from treatment. So, on Wednesdays, we've been going to The Habit for burgers and fries.

Josh is definitely tired. When I came home from taking the boys to school this morning, he was already back in bed and asleep. He alternates between naps and walks.

If we haven't said thanks lately, please know that we feel thankful to have such supportive family and friends. The kindness does not go unnoticed. I feel like I'm just barely keeping my head above water - I always plan to send thank you notes but...
Thanks Mom, for the chicken pot pie, helping on the Rainforest diorama and for being such a good listener. We couldn't do it without you.
Thank you to Esther for taking care of Hayden.
Thank you to Monica and family for the beer. Josh really appreciated it. All the little notes and flowers mean so much, too. Monica - I guess he won't be needing your hair cutting services again any time soon.

After writing all this, I realize that I need an attitude adjustment. Starting tomorrow, I will re-set and start fresh. Wish me luck!

Here's a look back at that first shave after surgery.



No comments:

Post a Comment