Tuesday, March 17, 2015

1 Down... 29 To Go

Today was Josh's first Radiation treatment. It was no joke!

The waiting room was NOT awesome. When you first get there, there is a waiting room like any other - chairs, tables, plants, coffee, water, magazines, etc. But then, there's THE waiting room. This one sucks. This is where patients wait in their gowns and it is depressing! Most patients looked pretty sick. Like the walking dead. I kept thinking, we don't belong here.That sounds awful to say, but it's true. It was sad and scary.

We sat there, among them, waiting for Josh's turn to be radiated.  I was so glad they let me go with him. I was actually scared to be left there.  I know it's not the right thing to say, but this Blog is about being truthful and sharing our experiences.

Once inside the Radiation Room, it was all business. No small talk. They had him on the table, mask on, lined him up, put stickers around eyes, and told him it would just take a few minutes. There was no easing into it. Next thing I know, I'm leaving the room with the technicians and he is left in there alone.

I was brought to another "waiting area" just outside the Radiation Room, which was like a cubicle. I hadn't even been seated but a minute when I saw the BEAM ON sign start flashing. It was SCARY. They were radiating my husband. I actually began to shake. The sign stopped flashing. Then a minute later the BEAM ON sign started flashing again.

A minute later, Josh was walking out of the room and that was it. It was over...but only for today, 29 more to go. When Josh got to me, his face had marks all over it. The mask was so tight that it left severe marks. It made my stomach hurt looking at him. Next, we were brought to a room where a nurse told him what to expect, precautions to take and gave us the times for our next three sessions.

We were told to expect fatigue that will increase over time and will continue for about a month once treatment is over (there will be a cumulative effect).  Josh was told about avoiding sun (more radiation), using sunscreen and wearing a hat, moisturizing the area 3-4 times per day (treat the area like a sunburn), wash with only lukewarm water, use baby shampoo, and do not shave the area. Hair loss/patchy hair can be expected around week 3.

As we were sitting there, Josh asked if it was normal to feel nauseous. The nurse said that some people do experience it and that they would get him a prescription to use before his next appointment. I was thinking that this traumatizing experience was enough to cause anyone to be nauseous.

I know what I was thinking and feeling all day...the anticipation of the appointment, the drive there, the walk into the building, the waiting room, the radiation room, the waiting... I can only imagine what Josh felt.  He showed no fear. And, I don't know how.

I'm sure, at some point, he'll have something to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment