Friday, March 13, 2015

Bran Tumor Surgery Recovery Progress - 4 weeks

Week 4 - Not much has changed with therapy sessions since week 3. 


Occupational Therapy: I requested my strength to be tested again because I've noticed a significant improvement. I was shocked to learn that I have only increased 5 lbs of strength in my right hand! I thought and expected my hand was nearly as strong as my left. I'm still at about 50% of my left hand!  Disappointed for sure.
Field of Vision Test

I took a field of vision test to rate my processing speed, divided attention, and selective attention. I was nervous to take the test as it could have a possible impact on my driving. A small car or truck would flash in a white box (very briefly) and I would have to click on which one I saw. Then, in addition to the object in the box, either a car or truck would flash somewhere on the computer screen (out of my direct line of vision - testing my peripheral vision). I had to determine if it was a car or truck and click on the area that I saw it flash (see picture). The speed of the flashing objects increased quickly and greatly. The test was really hard. Thankfully I passed at "normal" in all categories. 


I continued to practice at the fairly simple task (video below). The first video is my left hand compared to my right (dominant but weak) hand a week ago and the second part of the video was taken today.  I think I may have mistaken strength for dexterity.


Speech Therapy: I was pretty tired today and didn't do that well in speech class. I was having issues describing attributes of items, like a tree or house.  Needless to say, I was glad when it was over. I have some homework to complete when I'm not so tired.

I really wanted to use my left hand

Physical Therapy:  
Nothing new to report after my Physical Therapy session. However, my friend Julie, was kind enough to take me on my first hike this week. We made it much further than I planned - 5 miles at Rancho San Antonio. Barbara, a friend who is a physical therapist, offered to help me try and straighten up and walk better. The kindness of friends is really helping me get through things.


State of Mind: I've read everywhere that it's important to have a daily exercise routine in place before going into radiation therapy to help combat the fatigue. I will attempt to walk 4 miles every day and run at least 1 mile every week. I may need to adjust as necessary but I'm going in with this plan. I'll add a radiation section next week to keep everyone updated.

I feel for Fay for having to drive me to the thousands of appointments and I appreciate it very much. I know I don't make the drive any easier - sorry Fay!

We will also need to cancel all future therapy sessions and work around the radiation schedule. Occupational and Speech therapies are a priority -  in that order with Physical therapy being last.

Feeling "irritated" in moving into this new phase, which is an upgrade from last weeks feelings of being "defeated"



"Thoughts, feelings and most of the typing by Josh, organization and editing by Fay"



No comments:

Post a Comment