Friday, March 6, 2015

The Making of The Mask - Pre Radiation Set-Up

Well, today was the start of my radiation therapy. I had to fast for three hours - I ate at exactly 3 hours before and RIGHT after. Fay made sure to pack me lunch.

I checked in and was brought back to get my IV line put in - ON TIME again - awesome. It wasn't like the hospital experience where one nurse missed my vein a total of five times. The nurse today got it on the first try and I was all set to go....then we were told that they were running an hour behind schedule... ugh. So much for on time.

After a few more questions for Dr. Swift, my Radio-Oncologist, and an hour wait we were brought into the Computed Tomography (CT) room where Fay documented the entire process with pictures and some video.


They brought the "mask" out and I was shocked. It was a thin piece of flat plastic about the size of a piece of binder paper. It was placed into a bath of hot water for several minutes and was pulled out with tongs.

The technician then placed the mask around my face and head. Stretching it and molding it around my face. Then attaching the flat piece to the table with plastic clips.

It felt like a very hot blanket on my face. For someone with claustrophobia, it would be their worst nightmare. It's crucial that I don't move my head when I'm inside the radiation machine, so the mask will ensure that I am still.
Before
The plan is to merge, on a computer, my MRI before surgery, my MRI just after surgery and the two CT scans from today in order to identify the exact location and treatment for my tumor. Then Dr. Swift creates a map that the radiation machine uses to "zap" (technical term) my tumor from 360 degrees every day, except weekends, for 6 weeks.

CT scans are pretty quick compared to MRI's which can last 45 minutes to one hour.  After the mask hardened, the technician left the room for my first scan. Since I was asked to keep my eyes closed, and stickers were placed on my eyelids, I couldn't keep track of time but the first one felt like no longer than 5 minutes.

I was brought out of the device, eyes still closed, connected to the CT contrast material and sent back in the machine for another scan, this time with contrast.

After
It started with a voice, over a loud speaker, saying that the contrast was being put into my veins.  Then, I felt a warming sensation all over my body. It slowly got warmer and warmer and then my body got down right hot! It only lasted a minute or so. It was the opposite of the MRI contrast, which sends a cooling sensation. Then after approximately 5 minutes I was done and the Mask was FINALLY removed!

I was in the mask for approximately 15 minutes. As time passed, I became more and more panicky. Especially, with my eyes closed.  I have no idea how someone who has any difficulty with claustrophobia handles it.

We were then given a date for our first radiation appointment (Tuesday, March 17th), my IV was removed, and I was told to drink eight 8oz glasses of water to help flush the contrast from my body, and we were allowed to leave.

The entire experience was surreal...



"Thoughts, feelings and most of the typing by Josh, organization and editing by Fay" 

No comments:

Post a Comment